Video Demonstration of the $10 Cheese Press

by Jason Akers from The Self Sufficient Gardener is a blog and podcast about growing your own food and living off the land.

In my last post I took you through the process of making a cheese press. Today I take you through the process of filling said press with delicious cheddar cheese.

I will apologize beforehand about my lack of video skills.

Author: Jason

Hi, I'm Jason Akers, the host of The Self-Sufficient Gardener Podcast and contributor to Backwoods Home Magazine, Backhome Magazine and of course...Save Our Skills! When I'm not trying to get my garden to grow or writing, I like to fish, hunt and shoot. If you would like to learn more about maintaining a self sufficient garden visit my website and checkout my gardening podcast on iTunes.

  • Curt


    Thanks for the two posts on this subject. It would be cool if you could post the recipe and the directions with the times and temperatures to accompany the video. I hope you will do one on the last part of the process.

  • Curt

    Thank you for the comment.

    I will do that tonight. I’ll post the recipe with the caveat that I did it the hard whey (lol). Making a cheddar is actually the most complicated of the hard recipes that I’ve tried but it lets you demonstrate almost all of the techniques (minus brining).

    I set up to do one on the last part of the process which is just air drying and waxing. It wasn’t very exciting and the waxing process went completely all wrong which just goes to show me that I should never pretend to be an expert on anything. Needless to say I deleted all record of that screwup.

    Really the waxing is quite easy (normally). You just very slowly heat up cheese wax and dip the cheese into the melted wax.



  • Recipe is as follows:

    1. Bring milk to 86F. Add the starter and stir. Cover for 30 minutes or longer.
    2. Add rennet and stir very well. Cover and let set for 45 minutes or until the curd sets.
    3. Cut the curd into very small 1/4″ or so cubes. Let them set for a few minutes.
    4. Bring the curds to 100F very slowly, increase the temperature in increments of about 2 degree every 5 minutes. Once 100F is reached maintain it and stir the curds occasionally. Let it set for 30 minutes or longer (trying to evacuate all whey).
    5. Pour everything into a colander or bag made of cheesecloth. Put the solids back into the pot and let it set for 15-20 minutes.
    6. Cut the solid mass of curds into slices about 1 inch thick. Put them into the 100F pot and turn them occasionally (get more whey out). Do this for about 2 hours.
    7. Break them up further and continue stirring for another hour or so.
    8. Salt, stir and let them set for 5 minutes.
    9. Pour into a mold and press. 10 pounds for 15 minutes, 40 for 12 hours, 50 for 24 hours. Flipping between cycles.
    10. Air dry for a few days, wax and let age for up to 12 months.

    There is a big debate over whether this cheese would need refrigeration or not. I’m going to try it without.