I’m very much interested in harvesting wild mushrooms, however mushrooms are scary business! Eating the wrong mushroom can make you severely ill or in some cases kill you! In fact there is even a mushroom called “The Angel of Death“.
So how can you get started into mushrooming without worrying about killing yourself?
Well first off all I would suggest locating your local mushrooming club if there is one around. Your good friend Google should know where they are.
The best place to start with mushrooming is without a doubt “The Foolproof four”. These 4 mushrooms are named because they are very easy to identify and they do not have many poisonous look alikes.
The foolproof four are:
- Do not eat chicken of the woods which is growing on confiers or eucalyptus as that is considered inedible
- When hunting for chanterelle please be aware of the Jack-O-Lantern mushroom.
- Beware the pigskin mushroom when searching for puff balls
- Educate yourself on False Morels.
Mushrooming Skills I want to learn
- Learning your local areas and knowing where to look
- Learning to identify tree types. Knowing which type of trees are growing is one of the most important aspects of determining which mushrooms you are likely to find
- Spore Prints: The color and pattern of the mushroom spores are the safest way to properly identify a mushroom.
I’ll be joining and attending local mushroom events and will of course keep the blog up to date with my progress.