Step up to some real jerky.
Here is the basic recipe:
- Choose a cut of lean meat such as top round, buffalo, venison, etc
- Cut it into thin strips
- Basic Jerky Marinade:
- 1/2 Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Worcestershire Sauce
- Spice to taste… suggestions include hot sauce, jalapeños, garlic, cumin, etc (just go wild!!)
- Marinade overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours
- Put in smoker at a steady 150 degrees until done. Typically about 3 to 6 hours. To see if it is done give it a taste!
- Your Jerky will become more “Jerky like” after sitting around a few days. Don’t overcook your jerky!
- If your fire is too cold that is FINE, if it is too hot for too long you will RUIN the jerky.
- You can always pull the jerky out of the smoker after a few hours and finish it in the dehydrator or oven
Checkout this youtube video of the Jerky I made this past weekend. It is SO GOOD it is like crack to me right now. It’s all the self control I can manage to not eat the entire bag in one sitting.