Jon and Julia Martinez join me on the podcast to talk all about cloth diapers, making your own baby food, breast feeding, and more!
This episode is important to me since my wife and I are expecting a child this coming May. I hope some other young parents find this useful. If you have anything to add lets hear it in the comments.
Resources of the day:
Julia’s Reading List
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- Super Baby Food
- Healing Children Naturally
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting
Julia’s Resources and Recipes
Recipe for cloth wipe solution:
2 cups water
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp Aveeno Baby Wash
2 drops tea tree oil (optional)
Keep the solution in a resealable container. (we use a plastic container from disposable wipes) When you are ready to use a cloth wipe, dunk it in the solution and squeeze out the excess. Don’t double dip!
Where Julia buys her diapers:
Thirsties Diaper Covers:
“Chinese” Prefold Diapers:
Birdseye Flat Diapers:
Snappi (instead of safety pins):
Planet Wise Diaper Pail Liner:
Flannel Baby Wipes:
Articles and Cloth Diaper Reviews
- Cloth Diapers
- a bit more work than disposables
- cheaper than disposables, even after all of the extra washing
- better for baby
- Less leakage (ok this one surprised me)
- Better for potty training
- How to get started
- Don’t follow the advice of one guru, just do what works for you. If you want to use a disposable part of the time go ahead and do it.
- Many brands were tried, learn what worked for them.
- Baby food
- Food + food processor = baby food
- Freeze your food in ice cube trays for future use
- Follow the doc’s advice about which food to use and when
- Breast feeding – a natural immunity booster for your child
- A few natural remedies for your child